Dr Edmore Gasura
BSc Agriculture Hons (Crop Science) (University of Zimbabwe), MSc Crop Science: Biotechnology and PhD Plant Breeding and Biotechnology (Makerere University).
Telephone: +263 775 862 222
Dr Edmore Gasura has over six years of university teaching experience. He has supervised 21 BSc students, 26 MSc students and six PhD students. Currently he teaches biotechnology and genetics courses at both under-graduate and post-graduate level. Dr Gasura has over 20 publications in peer reviewed journals. His interest is in applied crop genetics and biotechnology, and has been working on various projects funded by different organizations in the region.
List of peer reviewed journal articles:
1. Peter Setimela; Cosmos Magorokosho; Rodney Lunduka,; Edmore Gasura ; Dan Makumbi; Amsal Tarekegne; Jill Cairns; Thoko Ndhlela; Olaf Erenstein and Wifred Mwangi. 2017. Yield gain with Stress tolerant Maize in Eastern and Southern Africa. Agronomy Journal. doi: 10.2134/agronj2015.11.0540.
2. Nyombayire, A., Derera, J., Sibiya, J., Gasura, E. and Ngaboyisonga, C., 2016. Genetic diversity among maize inbred lines selected for the mid-altitudes and highlands of Rwanda. Maydica, 61(2016), p.M17.
3. Mubayiwa, M., Mutasa, W., Gasura, E. and Mabasa, S., 2016. Grafting and 2.4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid induced flowering in non-flowering sweetpotato in sub-tropics. South African Journal of Botany, 106, pp.153-157.
4. Gasura, Edmore, Peter S. Setimela, and Caleb M. Souta. Evaluation of the performance of sorghum genotypes using GGE biplot. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 95.6 (2015): 1205-1214.
5. Maphumulo, S. G., Derera, J., Qwabe, F., Fato, P., Gasura, E., & Mafongoya, P. (2015). Heritability and genetic gain for grain yield and path coefficient analysis of some agronomic traits in early-maturing maize hybrids. Euphytica, 1-20.
6. Gasura, E., Setimela, P.S., Edema, R., Gibson, P.T., Okori, P. and Tarekegne, A. 2013. Exploiting Grain-Filling Rate and Effective Grain-Filling Duration to Improve Yield of Early-Maturing Maize. Crop Science 53: 1-9.
7. Masekesa, T. R., E. Gasura, E. Ngadze, D. Icishahayo, G. T. Kujeke, F. Chidzwondo, and I. Robertson. "Efficacy of Zeatin, Kinetin and Thidiazuron in induction of adventitious root and shoot from petiole explants of sweetpotato cv. Brondal." South African Journal of Botany 104 (2016): 1-5.
8. Gasura, E., Setimela, P., Edema, R., Gibson, P.T. and Okori, P. 2014. Variability and association of grain-filling traits with grain yield in tropical maize inbred lines. Crop Science 54: 530-536
9. Wenyika, P., Gasura, E., Kafesu, N. M., Goss, M., Matikiti, A., and Kujeke, G. (2015). Discriminating phenotypic markers reveal low genetic diversity in spider plant. African Crop Science Journal, 23(4), 305-310.
10. Masekesa, R. T., E. Gasura, A. Matikiti, G. T. Kujeke, E. Ngadze, D. Icishahayo, F. Chidzwondo, and A. I. Robertson. "Effect of BAP, NAA and GA 3, either alone or in combination, on meristem culture and plantlet establishment in sweet potato (cv Brondal)." African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development 16, no. 1: 10649-10665.
11. Masvodza, D. R., Gasura, E., Zifodya, N., Sibanda, P., and Chisikaurayi, B. (2015). Genetic diversity analysis of local and foreign sunflower germplasm (Helianthus annuus) for the national breeding program: Zimbabwe. Journal of Cereals and Oilseeds, 6(1), 1-7.
12. Bhiza, N.R., Gasura, E., Kujeke, G., Garwe, D., Mufunda, F. Muzhinji, N. and Kashangura, C. (2015). A stable simple sequence repeat marker for resistance to white mould in tobacco. African Crop Science journal 23 (3):221-227.
13. Kutsukutsa, R., Gasura, E., Mabasa, S. and Ngadze, E. 2014. Variability in condensed tannins and bitterness in spider plant genotypes. African Crop Science Journal 22(4): 275-280.
14. Mutasa, W., Gasura, E., Mabasa, S., Masekesa, R.T. and Masvodza, D.R. 2013. Does 2.4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid induce flowering in sweetpotato? African Journal of Biotechnology 12(51): 7057-7062.
15. Mazarire, M., Gasura, E. and Garwe, D. 2013. Potential of marker-assisted selection for Tobacco mosaic tobamovirus resistance in tobacco breeding. African Journal of Biotechnology 12(24): 3783-3789.
16. Mwadzingeni, L., Kashangura, C., Gasura, E., Garwe, D. and Lewis, R. 2013. Genetic diversity of Zimbabwean and exotic flue-cured tobacco varieties based on phenotypic traits and simple sequence repeats. African Journal of Agricultural Research 8(46): 5845-5853.
17. Gasura, E., Setimela, P.S., Edema, R., Gibson, P.T., Okori, P., Masvodza, D.R. and Masekesa, R.T. 2013. Simple sequence repeats markers for grain filling traits and yield components in tropical maize. Journal of Agriculture Science 1(2): 25-29.
18. Mazarire, M., Gasura, E., Mabasa, S., Rugare, J.T., Masekesa, R.T. Kujeke, G., Masvodza, D.R. and Mukoyi, F. 2013. Response of new rice for Africa (NERICA) varieties to different levels of nitrogen fertilization in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Agricultural Research 8(48): 6110-6115.
19. Kamutando, N.C., Muungani, D., Masvodza, D.R. and Gasura, E. 2013. Exploiting genotype x environment interaction in maize breeding in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Agricultural Research 8(29): 4058-4066.
20. Gasura, E. and Mukasa, S.B. 2010. Prevalence and implications of sweetpotato recovery from sweet potato virus disease in Uganda. African Crop Science Journal 18(4): 195-205.
21. Gasura, E., Mashingaidze, A.B. and Mukasa, S.B. 2008. Genetic variability for tuber yield, quality and virus disease complex traits in Uganda sweetpotato germplasm. African Crop Science Journal 6(2): 147-160.