DR FLORENCE MTAMBANENGWE
BSc Hons Biological Sciences (UZ), MPhil (UZ), PhD (UZ)
Telephone: 0773 284 063
Specialization: Soil biology and fertility; Soil organic matter dynamics; Applied ecology; Climate change and variability; Carbon and nitrogen cycling; Environmental management; Biological nitrogen fixation; Farming systems analysis; natural resource management; Innovation systems approach; Participatory action research; Visual problem analysis
- Mtambanengwe F., Mapfumo P., Chikowo R. and Chamboko T. 2012. Climate change and variability: smallholder farming communities in Zimbabwe portray a varied understanding. African Crop Science Journal, 20: 227 – 241
- Manzeke G., Mapfumo P., Mtambanengwe F., Chikowo R., Tendayi T. and Cakmak I. 2012. Soil fertility management effects on maize productivity and grain zinc content in smallholder farming systems of Zimbabwe. Plant and Soil. DOI 10.1007/s11104-012-1332-2
- Tittonell P., Scopel E., Andrieu N., Posthumus H., Mapfumo P., Corbeels M., van Halsemaf G.E., Lahmar R., Lugandu S., Rakotoariso J., Mtambanengwe F., Pound B., Chikowo R., Naudin K.,
- Triomphe B. and Mkomwa S. 2012. Agroecology-based aggradation-conservation agriculture (ABACO): Targeting innovations to combat soil degradation and food insecurity in semi-arid Africa. Field Crops Res. (2012), doi:10.1016/j.fcr.2011.12.011
- Nezomba, H., Tauro, T.P., Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2010. Indigenous legume fallows (indifallows) as an alternative soil fertility resource in smallholder maize cropping systems. Field Crops Research 115: 149-157.
- Tauro, T.P., Nezomba, H., Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo P. 2010. Population dynamics of mixed indigenous legume fallows and influence on subsequent maize following mineral P application in smallholder farming systems of Zimbabwe. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 88: 91-101
- Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2009. Combating food insecurity on sandy soils in Zimbabwe: The legume challenge. Symbiosis 48: 25-36
- Nezomba, H. Tauro, T.P., Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo P. 2009. Indigenous legumes biomass quality and influence on C and N mineralization under indigenous legume fallow systems. Symbiosis 48: 78-91
- Tauro, T.P., Nezomba, H., Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo P. 2009. Germination, field establishment patterns and nitrogen fixation of indigenous legumes on nutrient-depleted soils. Symbiosis 48: 92-101
- Kanonge G., Nezomba H., Chikowo R., Mtambanengwe F. and Mapfumo P. 2009. Assessing the potential benefits of organic and mineral fertilizer combinations on maize and legume productivity under smallholder management in Zimbabwe. African Crop Science Conference Proceedings 9:63-70
- Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2008. Smallholder farmer management impacts on particulate and labile carbon fractions of granitic sandy soils in Zimbabwe. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 81: 1-15
- Nezomba, H., Tauro, T.P., Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2008. Nitrogen fixation and biomass productivity of indigenous legumes for soil fertility restoration of abandoned soils in smallholder farming systems. South African Journal Plant and Soil 25(3): 161-171
- Mapfumo P., Mtambanengwe F. and Vanlauwe B. 2007. Organic matter quality and management effects on enrichment of soil organic matter fractions in contrasting soils in Zimbabwe. Plant Soil 296:137-150.
- Nezomba H., Tauro T.P., Mtambanengwe F. and Mapfumo P. 2007. Biomass productivity of N2-fixing indigenous legumes on sandy soils under smallholder rain-fed conditions of Zimbabwe. African Crop Science Conference Proceedings 8: 1505-1512. 27-31
- Tauro T.P., Nezomba H., Mtambanengwe F. and Mapfumo P.2007. Field emergence and establishment of indigenous N2-fixing legumes for soil fertility restoration. African Crop Science Conference Proceedings 8: 1929-1935.
- Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2006. Effects of organic resource quality on soil profile N dynamics and maize yields on sandy soils in Zimbabwe. Plant and Soil 281:173-190.
- Mtambanengwe, F. Mapfumo, P. and Vanlauwe, B. 2006. Comparative short-term effects of different quality organic resources on maize productivity under two different environments in Zimbabwe. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 76: 271-284
- Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2005. Organic matter management as an underlying cause for soil fertility gradients on smallholder farms in Zimbabwe. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 73: 227-243.
- Mapfumo, P., Mtambanengwe, F., Mpepereki, S. and Giller, K.E. 2005. Tapping indigenous herbaceous legumes for soil fertility management by resource-poor farmers in Zimbabwe. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 109 (3-4): 221-233.
- Mtambanengwe F. and Mapfumo P. 1999. Nitrogen cycling in non-N2-fixing tree legumes: challenges for biological nitrogen fixation research in savanna ecosystems. Symbiosis 27:293-303.
- Mtambanengwe, F. 1998. Miombo litter dynamics: Potential carbon and nitrogen contributions to soil organic matter. Transactions of the Zimbabwe Scientific Association 72:48-54.
- Mtambanengwe, F. and H. Kirchmann. 1995. Litter from a tropical savanna woodland (Miombo): Chemical composition and C and N mineralization (1995)- Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27:1639-1651.
- Vermeulen, S.J., P. Woomer, B.M. Campbell, W. Kamukondiwa, M.J. Swift, P.G.H. Frost, C. Chivaura, H.K. Murwira, F. Mtambanengwe and P. Nyathi. 1993. Use of the SCUAF model to simulate natural miombo and maize monoculture ecosystems in Zimbabwe. Agroforestry Systems 22:259-271.Books/Book Chapters
- Mapfumo P., Chikowo R. and Mtambanengwe F. 2010. Lack of resilience in African smallholder farming: Exploring measures to enhance the adaptive capacity of local communities to climate change. Final Technical Report to the IDRC-DfID Climate Change Adaptation inAfrica (CCAA) program. University of Zimbabwe, Harare. 99 p.
- Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2008. Combating food insecurity on sandy soils in Zimbabwe: The Legumes dilemma. In: F. Dakora, S.B.M. Chimphango, A.J. Valentine, C. Elmerich and W.E. Newton (Eds.). Biological nitrogen Fixation: Towards Poverty Alleviation through Sustainable Agriculture. Current Plant Science Biotechnology in Agriculture. pp 29-30.
- Mtambanengwe, F. 2006. Soil Organic Matter Dynamics as Affected by Organic Resource Quality and Management Practices on Smallholder Farms. DPhil Thesis, Department of Soil Science and Agricultural Engineering, University of Zimbabwe.
- Mapfumo, P. and Mtambanengwe, F. 2004. Base nutrient dynamics and productivity of sandy soils under maize pigeonpea rotational systems in Zimbabwe. In: Bationo, A. (Ed.) Managing Nutrient Cycles to Sustain Soil Fertility in Sub-Sahara Africa. Academy Science Publishers/TSBF-CIAT, Nairobi, Kenya. pp. 225-238.
- Mtambanengwe, F., Mapfumo, P. and Kirchmann, H. 2004. Decomposition of organic matter in soil as influenced by texture and pore space distribution. In: Bationo, A. (Ed.) Managing Nutrient Cycles to Sustain Soil Fertility in Sub-Sahara Africa. Academy Science Publishers/TSBF-CIAT, Nairobi, Kenya. pp. 261-275.
- Mtambanengwe, F. and Mapfumo, P. 2003. Integrating organic resource quality and farmer management practices to sustain soil productivity in Zimbabwe. In: S.R. Waddington (Ed.), Grain Legumes and Green Manures for Soil Fertility in Southern Africa: taking Stock of Progress. Proceedings of a Conference held 8-11 October 2002 at the Leopard rock Hotel, Vumba, Zimbabwe. SoilFertNet and CIMMYT-Zimbabwe, Harare, Zimbabwe. pp 57-63.
- Mapfumo, P., Mtambanengwe, F., Mpepereki, S. and Giller, K.E. 2003. Adding a new dimension to the improved fallow concept through indigenous herbaceous legumes. In: S. Waddington (Ed.). Grain Legumes and Green Manures for Soil Fertility in Southern Africa: Taking Stock of Progress. Proceedings of a Conference held 8-11October, 2002 at the Leorpard Rock Hotel, Vumba, Zimbabwe. Soil Fert Net and CIMMYT-Zimbabwe, Harare. pp 67 – 74.
- Mapfumo, P, Chuma, E., Nyagumbo, I and Mtambanengwe, F. 2002. Farmer Field Schools: Facilitators’s Manual. Integrated Soil Water and Nutrient Management in Semi-Arid Zimbabwe. The Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. 228 pp.
- Mapfumo, P, Chuma, E., Nyagumbo, I and Mtambanengwe, F. 2002. Integrated Soil, Water and Nutrient Management in Semi-Arid Areas: A Curriculum for Farmer Field Schools in Gwanda, Tsholotsho and Zvishavane Districts, Zimbabwe. Consultancy Report to the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. 39 pp.
- Mtambanengwe, F. 2000. Soil Organic Matter Dynamics in Natural and Disturbed Environments. MPhil Thesis, Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Zimbabwe.