Professor Vitalis Nyawaranda
Professor Vitalis Nyawaranda
Ph.D. English as a Second Language-ESL (McGill);
M.A. ESL (UZ); B.A. Special Hons, Shona (UZ); B.A. Special Hons, English (UZ); B.A. General, Eng and Shona (UZ); Certificate in Education, Gweru Teachers’ College.
Research Interests: ESL Classroom discourse.
Current Research: Analysis of social conversation,
- Chave Chirungu Chino. Harare: The Literature Bureau, 1979.
- Mwana Womumusha, The Literature Bureau (1980)
- Mira Nowako, Longmans (1982) – “A” Level set book
- Mutunhu Une Mago, Longmans (1985) – “O” Level set book
- Paida Mwoyo, College Press (1987) – “A” Level set book
- Mombe Yaishereketa,College Press (1987)
- Ndiani Achariima Gura? College Press (1990) – “O” Level set book
- Vakaimedza Ichiri Kufema, Mambo Press (1990)
- Barika Remashefu, Longmans (1991) University Set book – “A” Level set book
- The Swinging Graduate, Juta (1995)
- Madhiri, The Literature Bureau (1996)
- Chakauya Chokumayadhi,The Literature Bureau (1997)
- Teaching Englishin Zimbabwe: Trends and Prospects (in press)
- Grade 3 Writing Norms Test: Answer Book,HRRC (2003)
- Grade 3 Writing Norms Test: Administration Manual,HRRC (2003)
- Grade 6 Writing Norms Test:Answer Book,HRRC (2003)
- Grade 6 Writing Norms Test: Administration Manual,HRRC (2003)
- Comprehensive English Literacy Norms for Zimbabwe Primary Schools: Grade 6 Teacher’s Manual
- Comprehensive English Literacy Norms for Zimbabwe Primary Schools Phase 1 Report – (Co-Editor)
- Ndawi O. and Nyawaranda V. (Editors) Teaching Humainities at Secondary School (in press)
Work Published in Anthologies/Books
- Style and form in Mungoshi’s works. In M.T. Vambe and M. Chirere (eds) (2006). Charles Mungoshi: A critical reader.Harare: Prestige Books, 2007 – 213.
- Two poems in And now the Poets Speak, Zimunya & Kadhani) (eds) Mambo Press (1981)
- Two poems in Nhetembo , The Literature Bureau(eds), Mambo Press (1972)
- Five poems in Gwenyambira, C. Mungoshi (ed.), Mambo Press (1979)
- One Short Story in Hondo Yechimurenga The Literature Bureau (ed.), Mambo Press (1982)
- One Short Story in Gore Rechitatu by C.J Ngwaru, College Press (1988)
- One short Play in Kuziva Mbuya Huudzwa Book 1 by G. Matindike, Zimbabwe Educational Books (1980)
- One Short Play in Kuziva Mbuya Huudzwa Book 4 by G. Matindike, Zimbabwe Educational Books (1982)
- One Comprehension passage in Zambuko Book 4 by H. Chimhundu, College Press (1991)
- One Short Story in The Rainbow Flute, Finlayson, R. (ed.) Shuter & Shooter (1997)
- Two poems in Chakarira Chindunduma M. Zimunya (ed.), Mambo Press (1981)
- ‘Teaching Literature in English’. In Teaching Humanities at Secondary School, edited by Ndawi, O. and Nyawaranda V, (in press)
- Form and style in Mungoshi’s writings (Chapter contribution). In Vambe and Chirere (eds). (2006) Mungoshi: A critical reader. Harare: Prestige
- Dyanda, C, Makoni, R, Nyawaranda V, Tondhlana, J, Machingaidze, E, Muyambo, G, and Sithole, J. (2006). The Nature of the Comprehensive English Literacy Test of the University of Zimbabwe, (Celtuz-Primary) – Field Edition. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research,vol. 18 , no 2, December, 2006, 275 – 286
- Shumba O.and Nyawaranda V. (2005). Quality education for social transformation: Methodological perspectives of the Growing Up and Sexual Maturation Project Zimbabwe Journal of Education Research, vol.17, no. 2, July, 2005, 80 – 90.
- Nyawaranda, V. Doing a qualitative study. The Zimbabwean Bulletin of Teacher Education, Vol. 12, Issue 1, June, 2003, pp. 1 – 16
- Nyawaranda V. Theoretical inquiry into the teaching of comprehension, International journal of open and distance learning, vol. 1, 2001
- Nyawaranda, V. The use of the mother tongue (Shona, L1) in Second Language (English, L2) instruction and learning in Zimbabwe: A case for a Common underlying hypothesis, Zimbabwe journal of educational research,vol. 12, No. 1, March 2000.
- Nyawaranda , V. A proposed model for teacher education in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe bulletin of teacher education,vol. 8, November , 1999.
- Siyakwazi, P. & Nyawaranda V. : An investigation of non-graduate student teachers’ perceptions of and attitudes towards teacher educators’ supervision and assessment of their (students’) classroom teaching. Zimbabwe bulletin of teacher education,vol. 3, September , 1993.
- Siyakwazi, P. & Nyawaranda, V. Student teachers’ perceptions of and attitudes towards teaching practice deployment in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe journal of educational research, vol. 5, no 1, March, 1993.
- Nyawaranda, V. Purposeful writing: Some practical observations. Teachers’ forum, June, 1990
- Nyawaranda, V. On languages and Learning. Teachers’ forum,September, 1989, vol. 17, no 9,22
- Nyawaranda, V. Teaching for linguistic and communicative competence. Teachers’ Forum, February, 1988, vol. 16, no. 2, 19 22.
- Nyawaranda, V. Diglossia and its effects on the teaching of English as a Second Language in Zimbabwe. Teachers’ forum,October, 1988