i) Course Code: PG3M02
Course Title: HAEMATOLOGY
Contact Hours: 110 Hours (Theory, Slide and Practical Sessions)
Time Allocated: 4-5 Hrs/ week
Course Coordinator: Professor AR Mandisodza
Lecturers: Prof Arthur Mandisodza and Dr Dayana Da Silva Marques
ii) Purpose of the Course: To give students a good understanding of the blood and its diseases. This course introduces students to the new disciplines of Haematology and Blood Transfusion. It also allows students to appreciate knowledge of Haematological values as a diagnostic tool and the application blood transfusion science.
After the completing this course, the student shall be able to:
1. Describe basic aspects of blood transfusion and haematological disorders
2. Relate haematological diseases to transfusion indications
3. Discuss various aspects of blood clotting and disease associated with it.
iv) Course Content:
-Acute Myeloid Leukaemia
-Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia
-Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia
-Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia
v Methods of Teaching:
The course of Haematology will be taught through lectures, class presentations, group discussions, laboratory practical sessions and slide sessions. Familiarization tours to the National Blood Service Zimbabwe (NBSZ) shall be conducted as part of training.
vi. Student Assessment:
Paper I 75
Paper II 75
Paper III 75
Class work 100
- vHaematology and Blood Transfusion Science courses for 3rd year MBChB and Dental students.
- vHaematology and Blood Transfusion Science lectures in Combined Basic Sciences for postgraduate students.