Dr. Naomi N. Wekwete
Ph.D. in Applied Population Studies (Exerter, England), MSc Economics (UZ), BSc (Hons) Economics (UZ).
Key Research Areas: Fertility, Infant and Child Mortality, Maternal Health, Adolescent Reproductive Health Issues, HIV and AIDS Intervention and Evaluation, Migration, Gender and Economic Development
Cell: +263 772 523 918
- Wekwete N.N., Rusakaniko S and Zimbizi G., (2016). National Adolescent Fertility Study Harare: Ministry of Health and Child Care.
- Wekwete N.N. (2014) Gender and Economic Empowerment in Africa: Evidence and Policy Issues. African Economic Research Consortium (AERC). Journal of African Economies, pp 1-41.
- Wekwete N.N., Sanhokwe H., Murenjekwa W., Takavarasha F., and Madzingira N. (2014) The Association between Spousal Gender Based Violence and Women’s Empowerment among Currently Married Women aged 15-49 in Zimbabwe: Evidence from the 2010-11 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey. African Population Studies, 28(3), pp.1413-1431.
- Gwavuya S., Murendo C., Wekwete N.N., and Takavarasha F.(2014) Maternal Iron and Vitamin A Supplementation and the Nutritional Status of Children in the 2010-11 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey.DHS Working Papers No. 109 (Zimbabwe Working Papers No. 10). Rockville, Maryland, USA: ICF International.
- Wekwete N.N., Jokomo Z and Masuko L. Impact of HIV and AIDS on the Mining Sector in Zimbabwe: The Case of a Gold Mining Company. Chapter to a book, CODESRIA.Accepted for Publication.
- Wekwete N.N. (2013). “Challenges of Young Mothers Living with HIV and AIDS in Zimbabwe” in Wangulu E.F. ed.Towards an HIV-free Generation: Addressing sexual and reproductive health needs of young people and women. 91-100. Royal Tropical Institute (KIT) and SAfAIDS, KIT, South Africa.
- Wekwete N.N. and Manyeruke C. (2012) Strengthening Research Capacity in Africa: Gender, sexuality and politics with a strategic focus on the lives of young women. Feminist Africa, Issue No. 17: 91-101.
- Wekwete, N.N. (2010) Adolescent Pregnancy Challenges in the Era of HIV and AIDS: A Case Study of a Selected Rural Area in Zimbabwe. Organisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Wekwete, N.N. & Madzingira N. (2009) Girls’ Vulnerability to HIV and AIDS: The case of Murehwa District, Zimbabwe. African Population Studies, Vol. 23, p.27-44.
- Wekwete N.N., Jokomo Z. and Masuko L., 2008, “The Impact of HIV and AIDS on the Mining Sector in Zimbabwe: The Case of a Gold Mining Company”. Research Brief No. 14/2008, CODESRIA, Dakar, Senegal.
- Wekwete N.N., (2004) Gender, Food Security and Poverty in Southern Africa. MWENGO.
- Wekwete N.N. (1998) “Implications of Economic Structural Adjustment Program on Population and Environment: The Case of Shamva District”, in Masuko L (ed.) Economic Policy Reforms and Meso-Scale Rural Market Changes in Zimbabwe: The Case of Shamva. IDS Book Publication, p. 3-53.
- Francis-Chizororo M., Wekwete N., and Matshaka M. (1998) “Family Planning, Women’s Participation in Development: The mediating effects of gender” in Mhloyi M. (ed) Women’s Participation in Development – The Role of Family Planning, p. 71-89.
- Wekwete N.N., (1998) National Youth Reproductive Health Survey 1997. Zimbabwe National Family Planning Council Publication, Harare.
- Piotti B. and Wekwete N.N. (1998) Health and Demography – Background paper for the 1998 Zimbabwe Human Development Report.
- Meekers D. and Wekwete N.N. (1997) The Socio-Economic and Demographic Situation of Adolescents and Young Adults in Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe Further Analysis. Calverton, Maryland; Macro International Inc.
- Wekwete N.N. (1994) "Status of Women and Fertility in Zimbabwe", in Muhwava W. (ed.) The Demography of Zimbabwe: Some Research Findings.Earthware Publishing Services, Harare. p. 1-27.
- Maponga O. and Wekwete N.N. (1990) Technology Generating Institutions in Zimbabwe. Consultancy report.
- Maya R.S. and Wekwete N.N. (1989) Issues and Prospects for Coal Utilization in Zimbabwe's Rural Households. ZIDS Research Report.
- Wekwete N.N.(1989) Introducing Systems Dynamics in National Planning. ZIDS Working Paper.