Dr. Naomi N. Wekwete
Ph.D. in Applied Population Studies (Exerter, England), MSc Economics (UZ), BSc (Hons) Economics (UZ).
Key Research Areas: Fertility, Infant and Child Mortality, Maternal Health, Adolescent Reproductive Health Issues, HIV and AIDS Intervention and Evaluation, Migration, Gender and Economic Development
Cell: +263 772 523 918
1. Wekwete N.N. (2014) Gender and Economic Empowerment in Africa: Evidence and Policy Issues. African Economic Research Consortium (AERC). Journal of African Economies, pp 1-41.
2. Wekwete N.N., Sanhokwe H., Murenjekwa W., Takavarasha F., and Madzingira N. (2014) The Association between Spousal Gender Based Violence and Women’s Empowerment among Currently Married Women aged 15-49 in Zimbabwe: Evidence from the 2010-11 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey. African Population Studies, 28(3), pp.1413-1431.
3. Gwavuya S., Murendo C., Wekwete N.N., and Takavarasha F.(2014) Maternal Iron and Vitamin A Supplementation and the Nutritional Status of Children in the 2010-11 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey.DHS Working Papers No. 109 (Zimbabwe Working Papers No. 10). Rockville, Maryland, USA: ICF International.
4. Wekwete N.N., Jokomo Z and Masuko L. Impact of HIV and AIDS on the Mining Sector in Zimbabwe: The Case of a Gold Mining Company. Chapter to a book, CODESRIA.Accepted for Publication.
5. Wekwete N.N. (2013). “Challenges of Young Mothers Living with HIV and AIDS in Zimbabwe” in Wangulu E.F. ed.Towards an HIV-free Generation: Addressing sexual and reproductive health needs of young people and women. 91-100. Royal Tropical Institute (KIT) and SAfAIDS, KIT, South Africa.
6. Wekwete N.N. and Manyeruke C. (2012) Strengthening Research Capacity in Africa: Gender, sexuality and politics with a strategic focus on the lives of young women. Feminist Africa, Issue No. 17: 91-101.
7. Wekwete, N.N. (2010) Adolescent Pregnancy Challenges in the Era of HIV and AIDS: A Case Study of a Selected Rural Area in Zimbabwe. Organisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
8. Wekwete, N.N. & Madzingira N. (2009) Girls’ Vulnerability to HIV and AIDS: The case of Murehwa District, Zimbabwe. African Population Studies, Vol. 23, p.27-44.
9. Wekwete N.N., Jokomo Z. and Masuko L., 2008, “The Impact of HIV and AIDS on the Mining Sector in Zimbabwe: The Case of a Gold Mining Company”. Research Brief No. 14/2008, CODESRIA, Dakar, Senegal.
10. Wekwete N.N., (2004) Gender, Food Security and Poverty in Southern Africa. MWENGO.
11. Wekwete N.N. (1998) “Implications of Economic Structural Adjustment Program on Population and Environment: The Case of Shamva District”, in Masuko L (ed.) Economic Policy Reforms and Meso-Scale Rural Market Changes in Zimbabwe: The Case of Shamva. IDS Book Publication, p. 3-53.
12. Francis-Chizororo M., Wekwete N., and Matshaka M. (1998) “Family Planning, Women’s Participation in Development: The mediating effects of gender” in Mhloyi M. (ed) Women’s Participation in Development – The Role of Family Planning, p. 71-89.
13. Wekwete N.N., (1998) National Youth Reproductive Health Survey 1997. Zimbabwe National Family Planning Council Publication, Harare.
14. Piotti B. and Wekwete N.N. (1998) Health and Demography – Background paper for the 1998 Zimbabwe Human Development Report.
15. Meekers D. and Wekwete N.N. (1997) The Socio-Economic and Demographic Situation of Adolescents and Young Adults in Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe Further Analysis. Calverton, Maryland; Macro International Inc.
16. Wekwete N.N. (1994) "Status of Women and Fertility in Zimbabwe", in Muhwava W. (ed.) The Demography of Zimbabwe: Some Research Findings.Earthware Publishing Services, Harare. p. 1-27.
17. Maponga O. and Wekwete N.N. (1990) Technology Generating Institutions in Zimbabwe. Consultancy report.
18. Maya R.S. and Wekwete N.N. (1989) Issues and Prospects for Coal Utilization in Zimbabwe's Rural Households. ZIDS Research Report.
19. Wekwete N.N.(1989) Introducing Systems Dynamics in National Planning. ZIDS Working Paper.