Name: James January
Qualifications: BSc (Hon), MSc Clin Psych, PhD Fellow
Research Interests: Public Mental Health; Health Behaviour, Neuropsychiatry
Areas of Specialisation: Psychiatry; Health Promotion,
Research Publications (for the past three years):
- Shepherd Shamu, James January, Simbarashe Rusakaniko (2016). Who benefits from Public Health financing in Zimbabwe? Towards Universal Health Coverage. Global Public Health. doi: 10.1080/17441692.2015.1121283
- Charmaine Chivandire & James January (2016). Correlates of cannabis use among high school students in Shamva, Zimbabwe- A descriptive cross-sectional study. Malawi Medical Journal. Vol 28, (2) 53-56.
- Zibusiso Nyati-Jokomo, James January, Watch Ruparanganda & Inam Chitsike (2016). Risky traditional practices and Prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV: The case of Chiota community in Zimbabwe. AIDS Care. Vol. 28, No. 1, 52-56.
- James January, Henry Chivanhu, Janet Chiwara, Takunda Denga, Kevin Dera, Tafadzwa Dube, Theodora Chikwanha, Vasco Chikwasha (2015). Prevalence and the correlates of postpartum depression in a high density suburb. Central African Journal of Medicine. Vol. 61, No. 1, 1-4.
- Mpofu, E., Ruhode, N., Mhaka-Mutepfa, M., January, J., & Mapfumo, J. (2015). Resilience among Zimbabwean Youths with Orphanhood. In L. C. Theron, L. Liebenberg, & M. Ungar (Eds.), Youth Resilience and Culture (pp. 67–79). Springer Netherlands.
- Julia Mutambara, Memory Chitambira, James January & Mpikelelo Maseko (2015). “Bearing My Fruit into the Grave”: Experiences of Anticipatory Grieving and Bereavement among Zimbabwean HIV Positive Women with Loss of Their Only Child. Journal of Psychology in Africa. Vol. 25, No. 1, 20-24.
- Nyaradzai Arster Katena, Julita Maradzika & James January
- Zibusiso Nyati-Jokomo, James January, Seedwell Mpande & Watch Ruparanganda (2015). “Whenever Jack Sees a Condom, He Falls Asleep”: Experiences of Condom Use and Erectile Disorder among HIV Positive Men in a Zimbabwean Rural Setting. Journal of Psychology in Africa. Vol. 25, No. 2, 134-138.
- Anna Nota, Theodora Mildred Chikwanha, James January, Nyaradzai Dangarembizi (2015). Factors contributing to defaulting scheduled therapy sessions by caregivers of children with congenital disabilities Malawi Medical Journal. Vol. 27, No. 1, 25-28.
- Daphne Munyaradzi, James January & Julita Maradzika (2014) Breast Cancer Screening among Women of Child Bearing Age. Health Care for Women International. 32 (7-9), 818-827.
- Elizabeth Wariva, James January & Julita Maradzika (2014). Medication adherence among elderly hypertensive patients in Gweru, Zimbabwe. Journal of Public Health in Africa 5 (1), 28-31.
- Evans Dewa, James January, Patron Mafaune, Zibusiso Jokomo, Shamiso Muteti & Julita Maradzika (2014) Non-attendance of treatment review visits among epileptic patients in Gokwe South, Zimbabwe. Journal of Public Health in Africa 5 (2), 73-76.
- Constance Mandengenda, James January, Shephard Shamu, Zibusiso Jokomo, Shamiso Muteti, Julita Maradzika & Vasco Chikwasha (2014). Cancer awareness and perceived barriers to health seeking in a rural population. Central African Journal of Medicine.Vol. 60 (1) 8-12.
- Regina Chigweremba, Theodora Chikwanha & James January (2014). Application of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) framework in record keeping by occupational therapists and physiotherapists at central hospitals in Harare. Central African Journal of Medicine. Vol. 60 (3), 69-75.
- Kudzayi Mushayi, Shamiso Muteti, Theodora M. Chikwanha, James January (2014). Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders among farm workers: A case study of an Agricultural College in Zimbabwe. Central African Journal of Medicine. Vol. 60 (3) 75-80.
- Denise D Hallfors, Hyunsan Cho, Bonita J. Iritani, John Mapfumo, Elias Mpofu, Winnie K. Luseno & James January (2013) Preventing HIV by providing support for orphan girls to stay in school: does religion matter? Ethnicity & Health 18 (1) 53-65.