Dr Ruth Gora
DPhil (Literature & Philosophy and Senior Lecturer); M.Ed. Shona (UZ); B.Ed. Shona (UZ); Certificate in Education,Secondary (Hillside Teachers’ College: UZ)
Research Interests: Shona Language, African Literature, Language Policy in Zimbabwe, Language and Gender.
Current Research: Language Policy in Education, Gender and TVET.
- Gora, R.B. & Mutasa, D.E. (2015). Impact of perception and attitude towards the study of African languages on human resource needs: a case for Zimbabwe. In Per Linguam, 2015, Volume 31(1):74-88.
- Gora, R. B. (2015).Teachers’ perception and awareness of Shona dialects vis-à-vis Standard Shona in the Zimbabwean classroom: Implications for teaching and learning. In Namibia CPD Journal for Educators, Vol. 2, Issue 1/2015, pp 12 – 22.
- Makuvaza, N. & Gora, R. B. (2014). What is happening to the ‘noble’ profession? Concerns about and threats to the teaching profession in high school in Zimbabwe – The Way forward. In International Journal of Social Sciences & Education, Vol.4 Issue 2, 2014, pp 477–490.
- Gora, R. B. (2014). The Teacher’s Rapport inside and outside the School. In Tatira, L. (Ed.) Becoming an Effective Teacher. Harare: Benaby Printing and Publishing (Private) Ltd, pp 50 – 57 (book chapter).
- Gora, R. (2013). The Shona Poem. In Mapara, J. & Mudzanire, B. (Eds.) (2013) UBUNTU/UNHU PHILOSOPHY: A Brief Shona Perspective. Harare: Bhabhu Books, pp 88 - 98 (book chapter).
- Gora, R. B. (2013). Continuity and Change: Towards National Language Policy for Education in Zimbabwe. In Online Journal of Social Sciences Research, Vol. 2, Issue 5, May 2013, pp 123-129.
- Gora, R. (2013). Constraints of Private Sphere Responsibilities on Availability of Time to Study: A Case Study of Married Women Students at the University of Zimbabwe’ Faculty of Education. In Academic Research International, Vol. 4, No. 3, May 2013. (Co-authored with B. Bondai & F. Muchenje).
- Gora. R. (2012). Language and Gender: Implication for the Female Self-Concept in Zimbabwe. In Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, University of Zimbabwe Publications, Vol. 24, No.1, March 2012, pp 13 - 24. (Co-authored with B. Bondai & F. Muchenje).
- Gora, R. B. (2011). Attitudes towards Teaching and Learning of Shona Novels at “O” Level: Implications for the Teacher. Germany: GmbH & Co Publishers (book).
- Gora, R. B. (2010). The Role of Bird Characters in African Story and Myth. In Alternation: Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of the Arts and Humanities in Southern Africa, University of KwaZulu-Natal Publications – South Africa, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2010, pp53 - 63.
- Gora. R. (2010). The Use of Shona as a Medium of Instruction in a Tonga-speaking Community: Parents’ and Teachers’ Perceptions. In Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, University of Zimbabwe Publications, Vol 22, No.1, March 2010, pp87-102. (Co-authored with F. Waniwa, B. Muringani & G. Mavunga).
- Gora. R. (2009). An Experimental Study into the Use of Computers for Teaching of Composition Writing in English at Prince Edward School in Harare. In Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, University of Zimbabwe Publications, Vol.21, No. 1 March 2009, pp 85-101 (Co-authored with L. Tatira, N Sithole, & B.C. Manyarara).
- Gora. R. (2007). Teachers Colleges Preparation of Student Teachers for the Teaching of Children’s Literature: The Case of Marymount, Masvingo and Morgenster Teachers Colleges. In Zimbabwe Bulletin of Teacher Education, Vol. 14, Issue 1, September 2007, pp 95-112. (Co-authored with F. Waniwa, G. Mavunga & B. Muringani).
Accepted for publication
- Manyarara, B. C. & Gora, R. (2015). Aesthetic of naming: Potential psycho-sociological effects of some negative forenames in use among Zimbabweans (forthcoming paper).
- Gora, R. & Manyarara, B. C. (2015). ICTs in Teacher Education: Enhancing Quality in Language Teaching and Learning in Zimbabwe. In Namibia CPD Journal for Educators (forthcoming paper).
- Muchenje, F., Gora, R. & Makuvaza, N. (2015). Interrogating the Concept of Time among the Shona: A Postcolonial Discourse (book chapter in print).
Researching on language planning & language policy in Zimbabwean education as follow-up to DPhil thesis findings.