Prof. Takafira Mduluza
Phone: +263 4 303 211, ext 1344
Fax: +263 4 308046
Office: Biochemistry Department, Room 101
Takafira Mduluza graduated from University of Zimbabwe with degrees in Applied Biology and Biochemistry and Master of Philosophy in Biochemical Immunology of parasitic infections. After an internship at Blair Research Institute, Ministry of Health and Child Welfare he studied for a PhD in biochemical immunology and parasitology in the Department of Infection and Immunity at the University of Glasgow, UK. His work was on Biochemical Immuno-epidemiology of schistosomiasis at humoral and cellular level. He began working on the immunology of schistosomiasis in 1992, as a member of the senior scientific staff at the Blair Research Laboratories (National Institute of Health Research) in Zimbabwe. In 1999, Takafira moved to the University of Zimbabwe as a Lecturer.
Biochemistry, Immunology, Epidemiology, Parasite Pathology.
Research Interests: Molecular Immunology, Immuno-epidemiology, Infectious disease, cellular immunity, Malaria, schistosomiasis, HIV/AIDS, Vaccines.
List of Publications
- Imai N, Rujeni N, Nausch N, Bourke CD, Appleby LJ, Cowan G, Gwisai R, Midzi N, Cavanagh D, Mduluza T, Taylor D, Mutapi F. Exposure, infection, systemic cytokine levels and antibody responses in young children concurrently exposed to schistosomiasis and malaria. Parasitology. 2011 Aug 4:1-15. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21813042.
- Midzi N, Mtapuri-Zinyowera S, Sangweme D, Paul NH, Makware G, Mapingure MP, Brouwer KC, Mudzori J, Hlerema G, Chadukura V, Mutapi F, Kumar N, Mduluza T. Efficacy of integrated school based de-worming and prompt malaria treatment on helminths -Plasmodium falciparum co-infections: A 33 months follow up study. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2011 Jun 22;11:9 PMID: 21696629
- Midzi N, Mtapuri-Zinyowera S, Mapingure MP, Paul NH, Sangweme D, Hlerema G, Mutsaka MJ, Tongogara F, Makware G, Chadukura V, Brouwer KC, Mutapi F, Kumar N, Mduluza T. Knowledge attitudes and practices of grade three primary schoolchildren in relation to schistosomiasis, soil transmitted helminthiasis and malaria in Zimbabwe. BMC Infect Dis. 2011 Jun 13;11:169. PMID: 21668948
- Mutapi F, Rujeni N, Bourke C, Mitchell K, Appleby L, Nausch N, Midzi N, Mduluza T. Schistosoma haematobium treatment in 1-5 year old children: safety and efficacy of the antihelminthic drug praziquantel. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011 May;5(5):e1143. Epub 2011 May 17. PMID: 21610855
- Mutapi F, Imai N, Nausch N, Bourke CD, Rujeni N, Mitchell KM, Midzi N, Woolhouse ME, Maizels RM, Mduluza T. Schistosome infection intensity is inversely related to auto-reactive antibody levels. PLoS One. 2011 May 6;6(5):e19149. PMID: 21573157
- Arkestål K, Sibanda E, Thors C, Troye-Blomberg M, Mduluza T, Valenta R, Grönlund H, van Hage M. Impaired allergy diagnostics among parasite-infected patients caused by IgE antibodies to the carbohydrate epitope galactose-α1,3-galactose. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 Mar 2. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21376382 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher].
- Nausch N, Midzi N, Mduluza T, Maizels RM, Mutapi F. Regulatory and Activated T Cells in Human Schistosoma haematobium Infections. PLoS One. 2011 Feb 10;6(2):e16860. PMID: 21347311 [PubMed - in process] Free PMC Article
- Mutapi F, Bourke C, Harcus Y, Midzi N, Mduluza T, Michael Turner C, Burchmore R, Maizels RM. Differential recognition patterns of Schistosoma haematobium adult worm antigens by the human antibodies IgA, IgE, IgG1 and IgG4. Parasite Immunol. 2010 Nov 5. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3024.2010.01270.x. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 21204849.
- Mduluza T, Mutapi F, Ruwona T, Kaluka D, Midzi N, Ndhlovu PD. Similar cellular responses after treatment with either praziquantel or oxamniquine in Schistosoma mansoni infection. Malawi Med J. 2009 Dec;21(4):176-82.PMID: 21174933 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Sangweme DT, Midzi N, Zinyowera-Mutapuri S, Mduluza T, Diener-West M, Kumar N. Impact of schistosome infection on Plasmodium falciparum Malariometric indices and immune correlates in school age children in Burma Valley, Zimbabwe. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010 Nov 9;4(11):e882.PMID: 21085468 [PubMed - in process]
- Milner T; Reilly L; Nausch N; Midzi N; Mduluza T; Maizels R; Mutapi F. Circulating cytokine levels and antibody responses to human Schistosoma haematobium: IL-5 and IL-10 levels depend upon age and infection status. Parasite immunology 2010;32(11-12):710-21
- Kjetland EF, Hove RJ, Gomo E, Midzi N, Gwanzura L, Mason P, Friis H, Verweij JJ, Gundersen SG, Ndhlovu PD, Mduluza T, Van Lieshout L. Schistosomiasis PCR in vaginal lavage as an indicator of genital Schistosoma haematobium infection in rural Zimbabwean women. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009 Dec; 81(6):1050-5.PMID: 19996436.
- Zinyama-Gutsire R, Gomo E, Kallestrup P, Erikstrup C, Ullum H, Butterworth AE, Munyati S, Mduluza T. Downregulation of MIP-1alpha/CCL3 with praziquantel treatment in Schistosoma haematobium and HIV-1 co-infected individuals in a rural community in Zimbabwe. BMC Infect Dis. 2009 Oct 23; 9:174.PMID: 19852800.
- Ndebele P, Mfutso-Bengo J, Mduluza T. Compensating clinical trial participants from limited resource settings in internationally sponsored clinical trials: a proposal. Malawi Med J. 2008 Jun; 20(2):42-5.
- Mtapuri-Zinyowera S, Midzi N, Muchaneta-Kubara EC, Simbini T, Mduluza T. Impact of solar radiation in disinfecting drinking water contaminated with Giardia duodenalis and Entamoeba histolytica ⁄dispar at a point-of-use water treatment. J. Appl. Microbiology 2009 (106): 847-852
- Kjetland EF, Kurewa EN, Ndhlovu PD, Midzi N, Gwanzura L, Mason PR, Gomo E, Sandvik L, Mduluza T, Friis H, Gundersen SG. Female genital schistosomiasis - a differential diagnosis to sexually transmitted disease: genital itch and vaginal discharge as indicators of genital Schistosoma haematobium morbidity in a cross-sectional study in endemic rural Zimbabwe. Trop Med Int Health. 2008 Dec; 13(12):1509-1517.
- Reilly LJ, Magkrioti C, Cavanagh DR, Mduluza T, Mutapi F. Effect of treating Schistosoma haematobium infection on Plasmodium falciparum-specific antibody responses. BMC Infect Dis. 2008 Nov 17;8(1):
- Midzi N, Butterworth AE, Mduluza T, Munyati S, Deelder AM, van Dam GJ. Use of circulating cathodic antigen strips for the diagnosis of urinary schistosomiasis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2009 Jan; 103(1):45-51.
- Midzi N, Sangweme D, Zinyowera S, Mapingure MP, Brouwer KC, Munatsi A, Kumar N, Mutapi F, Mudzore J, Woelk G, Mduluza T. The burden of polyparasitism among primary school children in rural and farming areas in Zimbabwe. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008 Oct; 102(10):1039-45.
- Kjetland EF, Ndhlovu PD, Kurewa EN, Midzi N, Gomo E, Mduluza T, Friis H, Gundersen SG. Prevention of gynecologic contact bleeding and genital sandy patches by childhood anti-schistosomal treatment.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008 Jul; 79(1):79-83.
- Mutapi F, Burchmore R, Mduluza T, Midzi N, Turner CM, Maizels RM. Age-Related and Infection Intensity-Related Shifts in Antibody Recognition of Defined Protein Antigens in a Schistosome-Exposed Population. J Infect Dis. 2008 Jul 15; 198(2):167-75.
- Midzi N, Sangweme D, Zinyowera S, Mapingure MP, Brouwer KC, Kumar N, Mutapi F, Woelk G, Mduluza T. Efficacy and side effects of praziquantel treatment against Schistosoma haematobium infection among primary school children in Zimbabwe. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008 Aug;102 (8):759-66.
- Mutapi F, Winborn G, Midzi N, Taylor M, Mduluza T, Maizels RM. Cytokine responses to Schistosoma haematobium in a Zimbabwean population: contrasting profiles for IFN-gamma, IL-4, IL-5 and IL-10 with age. BMC Infect Dis. 2007 Nov 28; 7:139.
- Samie A, Obi CL, Bessong PO, Houpt E, Stroup S, Njayou M, Sabeta C, Mduluza T, Guerrant RL. Entamoeba histolytica: Genetic diversity of African strains based on the polymorphism of the serine-rich protein gene. Exp Parasitol. 2008 Mar; 118(3):354-61. Epub 2007 Sep 29.
- Mutapi F, Roussilhon C, Mduluza T, Druilhe P. Anti-malaria humoral responses in children exposed to Plasmodium falciparum and Schistosoma haematobium. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2007 Jun;10 2(3):405-9.
- Mlambo G, Mutambu SL, Mduluza T, Soko W, Mbedzi J, Chivenga J, Lanar DE, Singh S, Carucci D, Gemperli A, Kumar N. Antibody responses to Plasmodium falciparum vaccine candidate antigens in three areas distinct with respect to altitude. Acta Trop. 2006 Nov; 100(1-2):70-8.
- Ndhlovu PD, Mduluza T, Kjetland EF, Midzi N, Nyanga L, Gundersen SG, Friis H, Gomo E. Prevalence of urinary schistosomiasis and HIV in females living in a rural community of Zimbabwe: does age matter? Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007 May; 101(5):433-8.
- Samie Amidou, Njayou Mounjohou, Bessong O Pascal, Obi C Larry, Mouchili Fatima, Tuikue Ndam Nicaise Georges, Sabeta Claude Taurai & Mduluza Takafira. Use of an immuno-peroxidase staining method for the detection of Entamoeba histolytica in stool samples in endemic areas. J. Trop. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2006: 2:10-18.
- Francisca Mutapi, Takafira Mduluza, Natalia Gomez-Escobar, William B. Gregory, Cecilia Fernandez, Nicholas Midzi, Rick M. Maizels. Immuno-epidemiology of human Schistosoma haematobium infection: Preferential IgG3 antibody responsiveness to a recombinant antigen dependent on age and parasite burden. BMC Infectious Diseases 2006, 6:96
- Kjetland EF, Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD, Gomo E, Gwanzura L, Midzi N, Mason PR, Friis H, Gundersen SG. Genital schistosomiasis in women: a clinical 12-month in vivo study following treatment with praziquantel. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2006 Aug; 100(8):740-52.
- Mduluza T, Mutapi F, Ndhlovu PD. Schistosomiasis: The Immunology of Exposure and Infection. In: Progress in Immunology Research. Editor: Veskler BA, Nova Science Publishers, ISBN 1-59454-380-1, 2005: 159 – 206.
- Samie A, Mduluza T, Sabeta CT, Njayou M, Bessong PO, Obi CL. Detecting and Differentiation of Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar from clinical samples by PCR and Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay. J. Trop. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2005; 1:1-7.
- Kjetland EF, Ndhlovu PD, Gomo E, Mduluza T, Midzi N, Gwanzura L, Mason PR, Sandvik L, Friis H, Gundersen SG. Association between genital schistosomiasis and HIV in rural Zimbabwean women. AIDS. 2006 Feb 28; 20(4):593-600.
- Mutapi F, Burchmore R, Mduluza T, Foucher A, Harcus Y, Nicoll G, Midzi N, Turner CM, Maizels RM. Praziquantel treatment of individuals exposed to Schistosoma haematobium enhances serological recognition of defined parasite antigens. J Infect Dis. 2005 Sep 15; 192(6):1108-18.
- Kjetland EF, Ndhlovu PD, Mduluza T, Gomo E, Gwanzura L, Mason PR, Kurewa EN, Midzi N, Friis H, Gundersen SG. Simple clinical manifestations of genital Schistosoma haematobium infection in rural Zimbabwean women. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 Mar;72(3):311-9.
- Kjetland EF, Gwanzura L, Ndhlovu PD, Mduluza T, Gomo E, Mason PR, Midzi N, Friis H, Gundersen SG. Herpes simplex virus type 2 prevalence of epidemic proportions in rural Zimbabwean women: association with other sexually transmitted infections. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2005 Jun;272(1):67-73.
- Mutapi F, Mduluza T, Roddam AW. Cluster analysis of schistosome-specific antibody responses partitions the population into distinct epidemiological groups. Immunol Lett. 2005 Jan 31;96(2):231-40.
- Baay MF, Kjetland EF, Ndhlovu PD, Deschoolmeester V, Mduluza T, Gomo E, Friis H, Midzi N, Gwanzura L, Mason PR, Vermorken JB, Gundersen SG. Human papillomavirus in a rural community in Zimbabwe: the impact of HIV co-infection on HPV genotype distribution. J Med Virol. 2004 Jul; 73(3):481-5.
- Midzi N, Ndhlovu PD, Nyanga L, Kjetland EF, Reimert CM, Vennervald BJ, Gomo E, Mudenge G, Friis H, Gundersen SG, Mduluza T. Assessment of eosinophil cationic protein as a possible diagnostic marker for female genital schistosomiasis in women living in a Schistosoma haematobium endemic area. Parasite Immunol. 2003 Nov-Dec; 25(11-12):581-8.
- Mutapi F, Hagan P, Woolhouse ME, Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD. Chemotherapy-induced, age-related changes in antischistosome antibody responses. Parasite Immunol. 2003 Feb; 25(2):87-97.
- Mutapi F, Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD. The effect of treatment on the age-antibody relationship in children infected with Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2002; 97 Suppl 1:173-80.
- Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD, Midzi N, Scott JT, Mutapi F, Mary C, Couissinier-Paris P, Turner CM, Chandiwana SK, Woolhouse ME, Dessein AJ, Hagan P. Contrasting cellular responses in Schistosoma haematobium infected and exposed individuals from areas of high and low transmission in Zimbabwe. Immunol Lett. 2003 Sep 8; 88(3):249-56.
- Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD, Madziwa TM, Midzi N, Zinyama R, Turner CM, Chandiwana SK, Nyazema N, Hagan P. The impact of repeated treatment with praziquantel of schistosomiasis in children under six years of age living in an endemic area for Schistosoma haematobium infection. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2001; 96 Suppl:157-64.
- Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD, Midzi N, Mary C, Paris CP, Turner CM, Chandiwana SK, Woolhouse ME, Dessein AJ, Hagan P. T cell clones from Schistosoma haematobium infected and exposed individuals lacking distinct cytokine profiles for Th1/Th2 polarisation. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2001; 96 Suppl:89-101.
- Scott JT, Turner C, Mutapi F, Woolhouse ME, Chandiwana SK, Mduluza T, Ndhlovu PD, Hagan P. Dissociation of interleukin-4 and interleukin-5 production following treatment for Schistosoma haematobium infection in humans. Parasite Immunol. 2000 Jul; 22(7):341-8.
- Mutapi F, Ndhlovu PD, Hagan P, Spicer JT, Mduluza T, Turner CM, Chandiwana SK, Woolhouse ME. Chemotherapy accelerates the development of acquired immune responses to Schistosoma haematobium infection. J Infect Dis. 1998 Jul; 178(1):289-93.
- Mduluza, T., Ndhlovu, P.D; Midzi, N; Zinyama, R, Turner, C.M.R; Chandiwana, S.K; Woolhouse, M.E.J & Hagan, P.Antibody profiles of 6 years old children living in Schistosoma haematobium endemic area and subjected to repeated praziquantel treatment. Proceedings of the IXth International Congress of Parasitology. ICOPA IX, (1998): 931-939.
- Friis H, Ndhlovu P, Mduluza T, Kaondera K, Sandstrom B, Michaelsen KF, Vennervald BJ, Christensen NO. The impact of zinc supplementation on growth and body composition: a randomized, controlled trial among rural Zimbabwean schoolchildren. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1997 Jan; 51(1):38-45.
Friis H, Ndhlovu P, Mduluza T, Kaondera K, Sandstrom B, Michaelsen KF, Vennervald BJ, Christensen NO. The impact of zinc supplementation on
- Schistosoma mansoni reinfection rate and intensities: a randomized, controlled trial among rural Zimbabwean schoolchildren. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1997 Jan; 51(1):33-7.
- Friis H, Ndhlovu P, Mduluza T, Kaondera K, Franke D, Vennervald BJ, Christensen NO, Doehring E. Ultrasonographic organometry: liver and spleen dimensions among children in Zimbabwe. Trop Med Int Health. 1996 Apr; 1(2):183-90.
Book Editing and Chapters:
A Gateway to Biomedical Research in Africa. Editor: Mduluza T, Nova Science Publications: ISBN: 1-60121-444-4.
Mduluza T, Mutapi F, Ndhlovu PD. Schistosomiasis: The Immunology of Exposure and Infection. In: Progress in Immunology Research. Editor: Veskler BA, Nova Science Publishers, ISBN 1-59454-380-1, 2005: 159 – 206
Details of Current Research
Our work concentrates on the immunological consequences of parasitic infection in endemic populations and immuno-epidemiological studies of the relationship between defined immune responses and acquisition of clinically protective immunity. Our aim is to characterize the effector mechanisms of both innate and acquired immunity to parasites, to understand how these mechanisms are induced and how they are regulated in order to promote parasite clearance without inducing immunopathology. We also conduct research oriented to the development and evaluation of anti-parasite vaccines. Current projects include understand how these mechanisms are induced and how they are regulated in order to promote parasite clearance without inducing immunopathology.
List of projects:
- Observing the evolution of neutralizing antibodies during early and acute HIV-1C infections.
- Development and contribution of neutralizing antibodies in PMTCT.
- Standardization and evaluation of different malaria vaccine candidates by ELISA.
- The immuno-epidemiological consequences of Plasmodium falciprum and HIV co-infection and the immune-epidemiological and molecular biology of Plasmodium falciparum and Schistosoma haematobium co-infection.
- Female genital schistosomiasis treatment with praziquantel and its association with HIV infection.
- Parasitic worms and health in rural, farming and peri-urban Zimbabwean school children.
- Mechanisms of cytokine regulation, especially the balance between pro-inflammatory cytokine such as IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha and anti-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-10, IL-4 and TGF-beta.
- Influence of schistosomiasis infection on viral replication disease progression and immune activation in human immunodeficiency virus-1C (HIV-1C) infected individuals.
Professor Mduluza also leads a multidisciplinary operational research programme in Zimbabwe towards the control of schistosomiasis, soil transmitted helminths and malaria; studying the relationship between intensity of parasitic transmission and burden of disease. Our particular research interest here is the relationship between transmission intensity, acquisition of protective immunity and the immunological basis of severe parasitic infection.