The University of Zimbabwe, Centre for Postgraduate Studies (CPS) (formerly Postgraduate Centre) was formally established in the year 2012. The Centre`s main objective has been to operate as a service department that provides support to Faculties, schools and departments. Its mandate centers on the effective delivery of quality Postgraduate education and training by attending to issues of management and governance, policy and regulations, quality assurance, in a coordinated and systematic manner. The major goal being to enhance quality education and training in the form of workshops and efficient handling of examination and admission processes of research based MPhil/DPhil programmes. Since 2012, the University of Zimbabwe has produced hundreds of MPhil/DPhil graduates across the eleven faculties. Some of these graduates have gone to assume strategic leadership positions, within and without the University.
In August 2020, the Centre bid farewell to the inaugural Director, Professor Makwavarara, and witnessed the ushering of Professor Francis Machingura, as Director and Mrs. Doreen Tirivanhu as Deputy Director in September and October 2020, respectively. The Centre`s mandate has since been redefined by: the University of Zimbabwe’s Strategic Plan 2019-2025; National Development Strategy 1 (NDS1); United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); Africa Agenda 2063; and the overall demands of the Education 5.0 framework. Guided by the KUZIVA, KUGONA and KUITA philosophies, the Centre plays a central role in the transformation of the University by increasing the value or relevance of research and teaching programmes, and assist in the generation of innovations and designs that deliver models, prototypes, frameworks, technologies, processes, systems, companies and products that are necessary to cause industrialization and modernization.
The Centre for Postgraduate Studies is pivotal in enriching the experiences of postgraduate students to support Faculties in their quest to contribute to innovations and industrialization whilst coordinating University’s Postgraduate Programmes in a manner that informs, maintain and assure high academic standards, quality and excellence in the various disciplines.
Centre for Postgraduate Studies Mandate
The Centre shall do the following:
- Management and development of student life cycle;
- Act as an arm of the Academic Registry in the processing of admissions, registrations and/or examinations of higher degree students;
- Management of information and communication of the postgraduate programmes, processes and systems;
- Coordinate postgraduate programmes and Education 5.0 core values offered by the University of Zimbabwe;
- Provide policy guidelines that ensure high levels of research scholarship, outstanding learning opportunities and intellectual property;
- Coordinate the marketing and internationalisation of the university postgraduate programmes delivery models, outcomes and outputs;
- Develop and support professional growth, research and networking of university postgraduate programmes;
- Work with Faculties to identify and encourage research that has potential of producing goods and/or services that can be upscaled to end up in the Innovation Hub and at the Agro Industrial Park;
- Enhance research initiatives of diverse postgraduate students through conducting postgraduate courses, workshops and seminars to stimulate unique research outputs;
- Assist Faculties, Departments and Units in postgraduate dispute resolution;
- Provide an ambiance that promotes academic discourses through research groups among students for enrichment of ideas;
- Assist with mobilising funding from all types of partners for postgraduate students in the form of fellowships, bursaries and scholarships;
- Generally provide a unique experience and enrichment of postgraduate students’ learning.
To be recognized as the leading global Centre for Excellence and repute in diversified provision of Higher Education Training, Research, Community Outreach, Innovation and Scholarship.
The Centre for Postgraduate Studies provides diverse leadership in nurturing and producing higher degree candidates grounded in innovation and research capable of producing goods and services with potential to stimulate national economic development.
The Centre for Postgraduate Studies upholds the values of the University of Zimbabwe which are;
“EDUCATING TO CHANGE LIVES’’