To be the leading hope-dispensing Department through the provision of free, effective and confidential counseling and advisory services to all students.
- Client Service
The Counseling team comprises the following dedicated members whose role is to provide support to students.
- Faculty Counselors: who are found in all 10 faculties in the University;
- Peer Counsellors: student volunteers trained in basic counseling and advisory skills,
- Department Counselors: Registered psychologists offering services from the Student Affairs Complex: Rooms 18, Student Service Centre.
- The Chaplaincy: A team of pastors and clergy offering pastoral counseling,
- The Disability Resource Centre Team: Offering specialist counseling and support services to students with disabilities.
- Wardens: Whose residences are next to students’ halls of residence and offer services to students in residence 24/7.
- Student Health Services Team: Sessional Doctors, Nurses, a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist offering counseling on health-related problems.
COMMON PROBLEMS THAT REQUIRE COUNSELLING FOR:
- Relationship problems
- Financial problems
- Stress and Anxiety
- Adjustment to new environment
- Substance and Alcohol Abuse
- Career – Choice dilemma
- Dealing with conflict
- Coping with Failure
- Family and Peer Pressures
- Managing Time
MYTHS ABOUT COUNSELING
- The Counselor has all the answers to problems;
- Counseling is for the weak;
- Counseling is a one-off event;
- Counseling is for girls
- The Department facilitates the following Career activities:
- Graduate Placement and part time employment for students;
- Career Seminars: Facilitating interactive interface between students and the corporate world;
- Career Exhibition: Bringing Commerce, Industry and Public Service to the students’ door- step;
- Civil-Service Employment: Facilitating applications for employment in the Public Service,
- Career-Fairs: Offering guidance to high school students on degree program choices throughout-reaches programs.
Soundness of your mind is our Core-Business. Don’t struggle through life alone
Department of Counseling and Advisory Services
Phone: 04- 336223